No matter what type of business you are a part of, there will always be a need for systems training. While it may be difficult to understand at first what should all be included in your plan, once your company has created a comprehensive system training plan, you will realize how valuable it is.
A proper systems training plan can assist in creating a better workforce for your company. Employees will be more productive, more efficient, and have better morale. And you can save time and money in the long run once these plans have been implemented.
Creating a comprehensive plan
It can be hard when a company is first trying to create a training plan, but there are several things that can make the process go smoother.
The first thing you need to do when creating a comprehensive plan for your systems training is to look at the needs of your company. This can be done in a variety of ways. Ask your employers what they feel would be beneficial to your corporation in terms of training. Create focus groups, online surveys, or do interviews to determine this.
When assessing needs, it is also important that you ask your current employees if they are meeting their goals early on with the implementation process.
The second step in creating a comprehensive plan for systems training is to find out what your learning objectives should be. You can look at the key concerns from when you assessed your needs to determine this. One great method for this is to look at the help desk tickets if your organization has this to determine what the most frequently asked questions were.
The third step of creating your plan is to implement it. You should look into different ways to implement it, such as the methods we have provided below. Classroom learning is not always the easiest for scheduling, and many find that it is not feasible. And with employees having various attention spans and learning differences, it makes sense to provide a number of ways for an employee to take training.
After implementation comes evaluating. If you are not certain how much learning an employee did, you will not be able to determine if the plan meets your needs. Therefore, use a tool that can assist you in tracking every employee’s learning comprehension.
Training must continue, so you will need to do more training to support your employees. This can be done in a variety of ways, such as spending a few minutes at an employee meeting over a shortcut or sending out emails about different subjects related to the training.
Tips for system training
By using the following tips for system training, your company can ensure that your employees are trained the best.
- All trainers should know the ins and outs of the system. If a trainer is not sure about a particular element within the system, employees are bound to wonder what good the training is doing them. If there is not a person within your company that knows the system well enough to be a trainer, look outside of the company. Your employees will be able to spot if someone is not up to date on the system training.
- If you want to increase buy-in, training should be of huge importance. A mistake that many corporations will make when implementing new training systems is that employees are already overbooked as it is. They simply do not have the time to add in more training during the day. As they already have a load to do, they will put off the training for another day. But it does not need to be that way if you allocate the time for the training. Your staff will greatly appreciate this because you can make sure the training is comprehensive.
- Show your employees why the new system training is important. By providing them with the benefits of using the new software, you can show them that it can make their job much easier.
- Clear and realistic deadlines are a must! The best thought out system training offers expectations for their employees. These expectations must be easy for all employees to understand. And fair warning must be provided. You can not expect an employee to have training sprung on them. Do this by outlining rollout methods, and giving them plenty of time to prepare. This can be done through emails stating when the system training will take place, and then providing several reminders.
- Training incentives work! Provide your employees with these incentives to make the training an easier process. Some rewards are more motivating than others, so be sure to offer only high-quality rewards. For some offices, this might be an afternoon off after everyone completes the training. For others, you may be able to put every employee’s name into a drawing for a paid day off. It could be as simple as providing a $25 gift certificate to every employee that successfully completes the system training. Anything that keeps your employees motivated will work well.
- Look at what training type works the best for your company. Many pieces of training are more beneficial when they are done in manners that your employees can understand better or take their time doing. You can even consider offering various types for your company so your employees get the most out of it.
Types of training
As stated in number 6 above, there are various types of training that can be done for your company when implementing a new system.
Many individuals will learn the best when they are able to interact. Through interactive demos, an employee is able to walk through the training viewing various screenshots or videos to assist in teaching the system to the employee.
Gamification is a remarkable approach to doing systems training. This is done through a game approach, having different levels, points, leaderboards, etc. Using this type of training, an employee can go up against other employees or just compete against themselves.
Using this technique, the employee will be able to use a problem-based approach in order to solve the game. Many games will allow the employee to use an avatar that allows them to be a part of the game. Employees who are at varying levels will find this training to be beneficial.
Videos and microlearning
Videos and microlearning are great ways to do systems training. Through both of these, an employee is provided with the information that they need at that given moment. This type of learning is very quick, using media across various devices.
Videos can be the perfect way to do systems training with your employees. You may use videos by themselves, as they are very effective. But they can also be added to other forms of training too.
Videos can engage your employees and are perfect for visual learners. Many will also provide text, which is perfect for someone that needs to read along with the presentation.
Many are in favor of using microlearning as small tidbits of learning can be done at once. This is perfect for busy employees, which is often the case. In recent studies, it has been shown that on average, an employee only has 24 minutes each week to dedicate to training.
Microlearning sessions usually only last 3 minutes. They are able to be accessed at any time and anywhere by an employee, which is great for those that have a hard time finding hours to get their training in.
Infographics are a popular form of microlearning at the moment. If you choose to use interactive ones, they may be linked to other forms of content. Many companies find infographics is a great way to get critical information quickly to their employees.
Podcasts can also be considered a form of microlearning. These can be short or long. Many are to the point, which is very effective when it comes to systems training. However, for visual learners, it may be hard to learn from a podcast. Therefore, a webcast would be an alternative to this. The great thing about a webcast is that if you are to view it when it is live, you can ask questions.
Think social media is just for staying in touch with family and friends, think again! You can do social learning on various platforms by having discussions and to connect. This method is a wonderful way to stay in touch on a daily basis with others around the world.
Systems training is crucial to any business as it can provide more efficient employees. With the use of a comprehensive plan in place, you can be certain that your workforce is more satisfied. This in turn will lead to fewer turnovers, which leads to less money spent on training.
As you can see, having a plan in place has a snowball effect, all of which is good! Systems training proves to be a valuable piece of a company puzzle. Consider looking into developing a plan today to get your employees where they need to be with training. With all the different types of systems training available, you can develop an individualized plan for your company